Rehash it all

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Valentine's Day

Ok People, that dreaded day for every man, woman, and child is upon us...in about 9 days...

But still, it's too close for me. Even though I am happily "taken" (although, ahem, I am a woman of the 21st Century and I belong to no one but myself and therefore cannot be traded between men, my father and a boyfriend, etc. etc.), I still think Valentine's Day is kinda weird. Like, can't we celebrate our love any day of the year? And besides, I'll be in the "Single's Club" on this Feb. 14th as Mr. Smith and I will not be in the same city. But, it got me thinking about some non-romantic ways to celebrate an otherwise overly-saccharin day...

When I was in high school, my sister and I got a present every Valentine's Day from our stepmom. In her family, Valentine's Day was a big deal because her father (whose middle name was Valentine and whose birthday fell on the magical day...I think that was the connection? Man, I really need a fact-checker) made sure his girls had a little cheer on the day by giving everyone presents. And so, Diane has continued the tradition. Our gifts often consisted of cute socks, chocolate, and jewelry--all necessities according to my little sister Audrey and I.

Now (not that I'm complaining), I don't have any kids. But, what are some ways that us Singletons or non-mooshy gooshy people can celebrate a well-intentioned holiday that has been taken-over by crappy companies like Russell Stover and Hallmark? A classic dinner party is always nice. Also, maybe a little self-indulgence (who says you can't be your own Valentine?) with a work-out, a blow-out, or any other kind of "out"-ing. I'm also real into retail therapy. Or a visit to a museum.

Mark and I will be going for German food on Saturday night to celebrate our almost-one year anniversary of our trip to Germany at the German Brahuas in Chicago. What are your plans?

I really want to go antique-ing to find some vintage Valentine's Day cards like the ones below to share with friends, families, and co-workers. After all, shouldn't the holiday be enjoyed by all? Thru a nifty google search, I found these two valentines that I thought very appropriate for all us Corn State folks (umm...this includes Nebraska and Illinois--you people are all in denial that you live in rural states). Fount at http://belladia.typepad.com/bella_dia/ and http://joy-bucket.blogspot.com/2009/01/v-is-for-vintage-valentines.html

No comments:

Post a Comment