Rehash it all

Sunday, January 31, 2010

What a Load of Crepe!

My dad has been toying with the idea of purchasing a stand at the Des Moines Downtown Farmer's Market for this summer's hot new DSM item--crepes made a la moi. I think it could be done easily enough. Crepes are very inexpensive to make, and so quick. I had alwasy heard such terrible things about trying to make them, but I think that as long as you have a proper metal spatula (the long skinny kind) and a very very very NON STICK frying pan. Throw all trepedations of additives and carcinigens via non-stick if you want to enjoy your at-home crepe experience. Here is the recipe I have adapted and tweaked from Alton Brown (I thought his was too eggy). I find that the thinner the batter, the better--as long as you can avoid the air bubbles (bubbles mean tearing and holes through which your filling will escape). Here is my recipe:

2 eggs
3/4 c milk
1/2 c water
1 c flour

Mix all together, whisk to remove lumps. Let rest in the fridge for one hour (so the bubbles go away--the batter will be good for two days). Add about two to three tablespoons batter to the pan (buttered if you like), run around all edges of the pan (like when making an omlette). Cook for thirty seconds on each side and voila! I may change this recipe. I am going to make a new batch tomorrow. Here are pictures:


I hope to learn more about crepes--maybe read some articles or something. All three of you out there who read this, forward me along any information you may have about crepes. My stepmom is trying a gluten-free version that I am very curious to hear about the results.

-Alexis

No comments:

Post a Comment