Rehash it all

Monday, August 30, 2010

Movin on Up!

Hey Crepey People!!

Well this weekend, much to the help of my father, I moved into the city with my friend Jamie (we met through Alpha Phi, my beloved sorority? at IOWA--she's going to law school at John Marshall). We are living in the Fisher Building, a creation of the famed Chicago architect DH Burnham. If anyone is familiar with the book Devil in the White City by Erik Larson, Daniel Hudson Burnham was the lead architect to design the massive amount of buildings used during the Chicago World's Fair. I feel honored to be part of such a historic piece of Chicago's history. Plus, the twenty minute by-foot commute to work is pretty awesome.

I took the Megabus to Des Moines on Friday night. It was a seven hour, nausea-inducing ride and I couldn't have been happier to see my sister there to pick me up in her new car (that she paid for herself, oh ya!). We then bought groceries at Wal-Mart (the only place open at 12:30a in Des Moines) and finally hit the hay. Saturday morning, my dad and I loaded the truck, stopped in IC to say a quick Hello to Mark and Lady, and then drove to Schaumburg, IL to pick up essentials and a yumm-o dinner at IKEA. We had a 3.99$ dinner of Swedish meatballs (15 of them), mashed potatoes, lignonberry preserves, a salad, and the best Sierra Mist I've ever tasted in my life. We were beyond satiated after our meal. Plus, below you'll see a pic of our amazing bench below the bay windows. It is actually a book shelf (called "Expedit") that we picked up from IKEA and turned on its side.

We stayed the night in Evanston and were able to move everything into my 16th-floor pad by 11:30am Sunday. After feeding him a primative peanut butter sandwich and glass of water, and pleading internally for him to stay, I said good bye to my dad and off he went, South on Plymouth, Right at Congress, and on the Expressway back to Des Moines. I spent the rest of the day trying to find a 10"X10" piece of glass to replace the glass of a frame of Jamie's that I broke during the move.

I was incredibly unsuccessful.

And now, I'm just preparing, relaxing, and countin' the hours until my French sis gets here tomorrow. Eulalie will be arriving from New York City and I hope that we can go to Iowa City this weekend. So excited to see her.

Picture of me standing in the uber-efficient Swedish canteen at IKEA. Oh, and no big deal or anything, but just reppin' my GRAD SCHOOL by wearin' a NU tee they sent me.


The shot of my room standing in the doorway. I told myself I was going to try to keep the crap off my bed. But hey, at least I pulled the sheets up.


Our living room (and bar) as you walk into the place. The stove and etc are to the right behind the bar.


And finally, the view from the windows, looking to the right. It's the Pink/Purple/Brown CTA train line and the Chicago Public Library (I think I will take Eulalie with me tomorrow to go get a card). The Blue line runs on Dearborn (our street) and the Red line isn't too far from us either. Ahhh...it's great to be a city girl.

2 comments:

  1. Oh ya, and that's the lake you see in the last pic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh I love your place! What a beautiful building to have for a view!

    Yay for being a city girl! :)

    ReplyDelete