Rehash it all

Monday, November 15, 2010

HELP!



Even though I am happily, ok make that blissfully, employed (great boss, no commute, oh ya, and having money during a recession), I make it a point to always keep sniffin' for new job openings at my level. Why? you ask. Simple, because if the job isn't right for me, odds are I know ten people for whom it might be.

Now, let me warn all you newly-graduated/entry-level folks. I work as a recruiter. Therefore, my job is to network with people in the industry for which I am recruiting. So, when I ask you, "Who do you know that might be a good fit?" PLEASE don't send me to your BFF Joe Schmoe. And the same goes for you readers: don't apply to jobs that aren't relevant to you. If you don't have at least one year (or a month shy) of experience, or 2+ internships (six months each) that are 100% relatable to a job, don't apply.

Of course, there are some exceptions. Like, for instance, me when I applied to my now-job: I knew (kind of) the hiring manager, so I was able to flex my way in. My point is, read the job descriptions! Have a focused job search! Meditate about what you want a job in and the energy will follow! (Thank you to my Diane for that one.)

To help all of my crepey friends, below is a list of 5 top-notch entry level gigs or paid internships in the Chicago area that y'all should look into (oh ya, I say ya'll). If you don't live in Chicago, maybe it will give you inspiration for your own job search.

1. Chicago Public Radio: WBEZ Internship (paid and unpaid)
2. Starcom Media Vest: Media Associate (28K-35K first year salary)
3. iProstpet: Search Enginge Opitmization internship (paid: $12/hr)
4. Other great Chicago-based companies to look into: H2O, Playboy (seriously!), Sara Lee, Walgreens, and the countless media outlets (PR, advertising, the list goes on and on. . .)

I'll try to list more in the future. Good luck to all my hunting friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment