Rehash it all

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Farewell America

Today at noon commenced my last 24 hours to be spent in the United States for the next six weeks. And to begin preparation for my stay, I had to acquire a few things:


1. red lipstick (c'mon, I have to wear rouge in France, duh)


2. Paisley shorts (um, because J.Crew doesn't exist in France?)


3. Playlists (currently obsessed with Bob Dylan after watching a Mad Men episode that ends with "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright)

And then there was this tricky business of getting a gift for my host family. Granted, they could be complete weirdos--coneheads, brain scientists, who knows--but I still can't show up at their house with my bags (and "baggage" if you catch my drift) empty-handed. AND THE ECONOMY! Gah! What can I get them that is both (a) amusing (for me or them, whichever) and (b) CHEAP! Let me introduce: Mr. Half Price Books.





I rummaged through the coffee table book section and found them a perfect bound story about my lovely little city (Des Moines, you jerks). OK ok .... still ... need ... something ... american .... that won't offend the French like Sees Chocolates or Kraft ... music ... yes ... that vill work!





I bougght them a Nat King Cole CD. I know, totally random, right? But maybe not...

THE GUY SANG L-O-V-E. He is the American baritone. Nat King Cole is probably one of the most prolific, not only jazz musicians, but Black musicians this country will ever know. And so, in honor of my soon-to-be ex-Pat status, here's to you Mr. N.K. Cole: For being an incredible musician that has been the genius behind the songs of so many love stories (on and off the silver screen). And for reminding me what it means to be a part of the history of American music. There is nothing like it in the world. Take that EU.

DISCLAIMER: I actually really like our NATO allies, and all members of the world community really, so please don't take that "jab" at the EU too personally; I'm just being theatrical. Vive La France!

See you all in Lyon, where I will be writing posts to keep you all (ok, really just to document for myself for future reference) posted on my whereabouts and happenings.

Bon sante,
a

No comments:

Post a Comment